Atheists Can be Scouts in UK

French and British Scout from 1912

Beginning next year, atheists and agnostics will no longer have to lie to become Scouts in the United Kingdom.

In the new vow, the part in parenthesis will be optional:

“On my honour I promise that I will do my best
To uphold our Scout values, to do my duty to (God and to) the Queen,
To help other people
And to keep the Scout Law.”

Unlike the U.S., the U.K. hasn’t had a prohibition against homosexuals in Scouting. Explorers have been co-ed since 1976, and since 1991 girls have been allowed to be Beavers and Cubs.

www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/09/uk_scouting_opens_the_doors_to_unbelievers/

Photo by Agence Rol is in the public domain and is as found at commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Scouts-entente-cordiale.jpg

Thanks to Herr Bookmonger for pointing this out to us

About Alden Loveshade

Alden is a philosopher, personist, writer, playwright, screenwriter, director, actor, poet, photographer, dumbek drummer, roleplayer, and educator. Worked for others and freelance as a journalist, investigator, columnist, reviewer, teacher, animal caregiver, photographer, and dishwasher. Claims e doesn’t care about money, but always needs more. Recognized by Phi Theta Kappa, Golden Key International Honor Society, the U. S. Jaycees, and groups of like ilk. They don’t necessarily like em, but they recognize em. Graduated summa cum laude from some university that apparently figured the best way to get rid of em was to graduate em. Alden has worked with Emmy, Oscar, Tony, and Pulitzer Prize Nominees and Winners but they never shared their awards! Alden has dual citizenship in the Principality of Sealand and the United States of America. His official title for Sealand is Lord Alden Loveshade. E thinks that makes em sound impressive.
This entry was posted in Education and Learning, Media and News, Religion and Philosophy and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Atheists Can be Scouts in UK

I am so glad for those Scouts and that includes pagan Scouts too! If only America would open its arms to all boys and girls who want to be Scouts.

That’s great! But they should be able to say “to Goddess” too.

3. Thanks TawTew and Miley for pointing out something I didn’t. 🙂

You shouldn’t have to lie to be a scout!

The duty to God and my country is fundamental to Boy Scouts. Taking that out of scouting is like taking loyalty to America out of the military. This is another sad affair of persecution of Christians and is a sign of the End Times.

• PJ says:

They are not taking it out. You can still say the original ‘duty to God’ promise if you want. The change simply allows those without a belief in God to join. I actually stopped actively being a Scout Leader after during a training session, we were told to manipulate atheist children into believing in some form of a deity. Now that such a ridiculous thing has been changed, I may join a Scout group again. As you’re American anyway, what relevance does this have to you?

Andy this is UK not US but yeah. They’re already a bunch of godless foreigners anyway. They’ll take God out of Boy Scouts in America after they take my rifle out of my cold dead hands.

7. manteau canada goose femme pas cher says:

Ηеllo! Ѕоmeonе іn my Myspace group sharеd this ωebsіte wіth us ѕo
    I came tо check іt out. І’m definitely enjoying the infοrmation.
    I’m bookmarking anԁ will bе tweeting this to
    my folloωers! Wonԁerful blog and brilliant design and stylе.