Good Fathers Touch Their Children

“The one promise I made to myself when my daughter was born is that I would be a better dad to her than my father was to me.,,,It was at age nine, with puberty unfolding relentlessly, that I no longer felt comfortable making non-sexual physical contact with her in ways that I had freely and openly been able to do for nearly a decade. When a caring, competent, protective, nurturing father abruptly stops freely touching you, that’s an unfortunate, disruptive event to body, brain, spirit and to relational wisdom-mind. For daughter and for dad.”

Neuroscientist Mark Brady, “How Estrogen Unexpectedly Turned Me into a Bad Dad

Photo is linked from the article; copyright is as stated there.

This entry was posted in Crime and Punishment, Education and Learning, Family and Friends, Love and Sex and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Good Fathers Touch Their Children

1. Vernon K Avaritt III says:

That’s okay. Being a good parent is one of the hardest jobs

This really is sad. I wish I had a Daddy who was affectionate to me. But I’m lucky because I have a very loving uncle who never stopped. đŸ™‚

3. Mark Brady was kind enough to email us (Alden) the following note which the doctor gave us permission to post here. Mark has a very informative blog on parenting and the brain and we hope you’ll visit it.

“Hi Alden,

I’m glad you found the “Touch” blog … touching.

I hope a few of your readers do as well.

All the continued best, Mark”

It is so important for fathers to know this. Touch your daughter she loves you!

Touch is so important. Skin touching skin is such a wonderful and necessary human connection. Love your children and they will learn to love.

It can be pretty strange touching a girl’s chest when she starts growing breast buds. You can’t touch them the same without hearing from CPS.

Touch is healing. Jesus healed by touch.

“And besought him that they might only touch the hem of his garment: and as many as touched were made perfectly whole.”

Matthew 14:36

8. I’d like to clarify that there can be circumstances such as medical reasons that preclude a father touching his children. That does not imply he’s not a good father.

9. Lady Nigel B says:

Skin to skin is always in!