Merriam-Webster (to which I, ahem, made extremely small contributions) has words Trending Now on its website. One of the foremost dictionary producers in English language history, it works not to set trends, but to report them.
In today’s political and social climate, what were the five top recent trending words in the English language?
- lowlife ‘a person of low moral character’
- kakistocracy ‘government by the worst people’
- slimeball ‘a morally repulsive or odious person’
- salacious ‘arousing or appealing to sexual desire’
- oligarch ‘government in which a small group exercises control’
Welcome to today’s America.
An opinion of an individual member of The Loveshade Family does not necessarily reflect the views of the whole family.
Original flag image by Dawn Hudson was released into the public domain; our version here with Merriam-Webster’s Trending Now words we also release.