Facebook Fake Name Purge is Over

miley_cyrus_loveshadeThe Facebook Fake Name Purge is finally over! If you don’t know, Facebook had a real-name campaign. It was removing or blocking accounts of people who didn’t use their real name. That included reporters and freedom activists in dangerous countries, LGBTQ people, and writers, musicians, and actors. It even got Adam Gorightly, the “crackpot historian” and Discordian who is known only by that name (and by his Discordian name).

One woman who was forced to reveal her name had escaped from a man who had beat her and sexually abused her. Two weeks after Facebook forced her to reveal her name, he found her.

I could have gotten kicked off Facebook because I’ve used Miley Spears for a long time when it wasn’t my legal name. Lucky for me I got my name legally changed before the purge. I had to show my driver’s license to Facebook or lose my account.

And what if Destiny Hope Cyrus hadn’t already legally changed her name to Miley Ray Cyrus? Would they have kicked her off too?

An opinion of a friend or associate of The Loveshade Family does not necessarily reflect the views of the whole family.

About Miley Spears

I'm a Discordian American Princess, an editor of several Wikis, admin of The Discordian Wiki and SubGenius Wikia Clench, a college graduate, and a member of the Order of The Pineapple. Learn more about me at my website www.mileyspears.com
This entry was posted in Crime and Punishment, Discordian and Ek-sen-trik, Family and Friends, Media and News, Politics and War and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Facebook Fake Name Purge is Over

1. Miley, we added the usual disclaimer even though we all likely agree with you.

Please post if you’ve had problems with Facebook’s Fake Name Purge.

• TawTew the Naturally Perfumed says:

I haven’t myself. But a friend had a cousin with the same name. Her account got blocked because she was accused of being an impersonator!

I’m so glad they changed it. It put so many people in danger! I don’t use my legal name in Pagan and Discordian circles because of how people see those things. We should be able to call ourselves whatever we want.

4. To Facebook, the fact I’ve published as Alden Loveshade with various groups including Yahoo! News and Yahoo! Sports meant nothing. I’ve even cashed checks written to that name. Like both Miley’s mentioned above, I used a non-legal-identity name long before it was on any ID. Thank goodness Alden Loveshade is now on my government issued ID! At least one of them.

I see a great irony here. Having real-name identification is supposed to help security. But actually it has done just the opposite. I am very glad it’s gone.

My name is Pet Girl really!

7. I don’t have a Facebook account under Lorien Loveshade. But really it would help to have two accounts, one for Discordian and Wiccan things, and the other under my legal name. So many parents would freak learning their kid’s teacher is a Wiccan Discordian American Princess Nudist!

• Pope Hilde says:

I do not care personally but I can see it could be a real problem for someone like you. I would support Facebook accepting more than one account per person.

My legal name isn’t Rev. Bootie. It’s Rev. Ass. And don’t censor that prudes it’s a donkey.

I do not use Christian Andy on Facebook, but I would like to.
    Proverbs 22:1

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.