Order of the Pineapple 2021: Robert Newport and Monty Python

Pat Pineapple as drawn by Toby Bruno.

The 2021 winners of the Order of the Pineapple have been announced! (As usual, this is awarded once a year on January 18 aka Pat Pineapple Day).

The honorees for 2021 are Dr. Robert Newport (Brother Hypocrates Magoun) and Monty Python!

Monty Python. M. Python revolutionized comedy, but also challenged social norms, religious credulity and hypocrisy, and closed-mindedness. Seven asteroids are named after M.P., and “Pythonesque” was entered into the Oxford English Dictionary–but won the award in spite of those. And likely no one else was honored by having a wheel of cheese (“Cheese Shop,” “Blessed are the cheesemakers”) sent into Earth orbit.

Dr. Robert Newport (Brother Hypocrates Magoun). He is a psychiatrist who knew OPers Greg Hill (Malaclypse the Younger) and Kerry Thornley (Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst) in high school. He contributed “The Parable of the Bitter Tea” to Principia Discordia. He helped run Hill’s Cinema Rio Theater. From the estate of the late Greg Hill, he contributed the vast majority of the archives for Historia Discordia compiled by OPer Adam Gorightly.

The Order of the Pineapple is also called the DisOrder of the Pineapple and the Pineapple DisOrder, but it’s usually abbreviated O.P. (The award has also been called Patus Pineappleus Bromeliadic and the winners The P.P. Bromeliadics or Bromedliaddicts). It honors those felt deserving, particularly those who have given extraordinary service to “the participatorial study of comedic attitudes and eccentric tendencies.”

The O.P. is awarded to very few people, typically only one or two a year. It’s presented on only one day a year, January 18 CE, which is 18 Chaos of the Discordian calendar. That date is recognized as Pat Pineapple Day. Pat is the Mascot of the ECG and Patron Saint of the very recently dissolved D D of the ECG. It was first awarded on 18 January 1982, so this is its 39th anniversary and 40th year.

It is absolutely required that members of the Order eat something containing or resembling pineapple on January 18–unless of course they forget or don’t feel like it.

Congratulations to them both!

Order of the Pineapple

Order of the Pineapple Wiki

EDIT: Link to Order of the Pineapple Wiki fixed

This entry was posted in Discordian and Ek-sen-trik, Education and Learning, Family and Friends, Media and News, Religion and Philosophy and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Order of the Pineapple 2021: Robert Newport and Monty Python

1. Congratulations to Robert Newport and Monty Python, two of my favorite people that I never met! Their winning is well-deserved, overdue, etc. Without their work, I probably wouldn’t be here.

Many happy returns, and Pineapple On!

Reverend ‘OP 2009’ Loveshade

2. Congratulations to the honorees!

I appreciate their contributions, and will consume something pineappley in their honor.

Congratulations! Gooble, gobble, one of us, one of us!

I’ll get their articles up on the Order of the Pineapple Wiki on Jan. 18!

I am pleased to have Brother Hypocrates Magoun and Monty Python added to our bromeliac ranks.

It might be most appropriate to consume some pineapple with some hot tea and cheese.

• Inspired by your suggestion, I went all out. I not only had pineapple on cottage cheese, I had this: I put a wrapped apple cinnamon cereal bar in a pine box, then ate the bar with cheese while drinking hot tea.

(Perhaps I should explain I ate the bar after I unwrapped it.)

The Order of the Pineapple Wiki link has an error. Click on my name for the correct link or go to http://pineapple.fandom.com

6. Gypsie Skripto says:

We had some well deserving winners!

Monty Python’s The Life of Brian does indeed challenge people’s religion beliefs and thinking. It shows that religions are often misunderstood even by their most devout followers.

I remember seeing Dr. Newport at the Cinema Rio Theater when I was a little girl. I never really understood him as a psychiatrist. I remember him more as a painter, he inspired me to do art. I rather remember concerts happening at the theater but childhood memories can get confused! With a roadie father I went to so many. I seem to remember dancing with him once when I was very young, or at least him picking me up.

May you both be blessed!

2018

7. Alien says:

Congratulations!

I’ve had pineapple every Pat Pineapple Day since 1982. That year I was given a pineapple; the next year when we awarded a pineapple to the second awardee Captain Parasite, I had pineapple pizza with two people who would later win the award.

I hope you get in contact with Robert Newport. As far as I know, he’s one of only two original contributors to “Principia Discordia” left.

As for Monty Python, surely you can’t have forgotten this exchange from the “Self-defense against Fresh Fruit” sketch which involves all the members of the troupe (assuming Terry Gilliam is hiding in the banana):

Sergeant: Yeah, you try that with a pineapple down your windpipe.

3rd Man: A pineapple?

Sergeant: Where? Where?

3rd Man: No I just said: a pineapple.

Sergeant: Oh. Phew. I thought my number was on that one.

3rd Man: What, on the pineapple?

Sergeant: Where? Where?

3rd Man: No, I was just repeating it.

Sergeant: Oh. Oh. I see. Right. Phew.

(Place Signature Here: Alien, O.P. 1982)

Congrats!

9. Queen Bitch says:

Congrats to the new Pineapple People!